Ceiling and Absorbers Working Group
Formed by manufacturers, suppliers and contractors involved in the design supply and construction of ceiling systems to provide support for members and readily accessible and relevant information to allow ceiling systems to be specified, costed and installed correctly, efficiently and safely for contractors and occupiers of buildings.
more details What is the FIS Ceiling and Absorbers Working Group?
The FIS Ceilings and Absorbers Working Group was formed to address issues that were common to those working in the ceilings sector. The core aim is to bring the supply chain together to be a driving force for change and to set members up for success.
The objectives of the group are to:
- Develop technical standards as required
- Promote best practice in the market, underpinning quality and the requirements of compliant and safe installations
- Educate and inform clients and specifiers about ceilings
- Promote the products and skills of FIS members in this field
- Shape the market so that the correct standards are developed, recognised and adhered to by all to the benefit of clients
- Develop relevant training and routes to demonstrate competency
- Monitor commercial and legal issues
What are the key issues that the group is looking to address?
A pivotal role of the group has been to look at issues such as Ceiling Collapse and ensure that any core issues are interrogated. As a direct result of this work, Best Practice Guidance has been developed to support the selection of ceiling fixings (see Key Resources section below). The group has a number of workflows being led through small subgroups (these are made up of members of the working group, the FIS team and, where appropriate external stakeholders and experts. Current live projects include:
- Reviewing the current site guides
- Creating a new specifiers guide (more details here)
- Create a quality check list for site installation.
- Consider what needs reviewing in BS EN 13964 Suspended ceilings. Requirements and test methods
- Develop a guide for the safe ingress of materials to site
- Develop a competency framework
- Review the current SKA good practice measure for Ceilings
The Chairman of the FIS Ceilings and Absorbers Working Group is Neil Miller of QIC Trims
Working Group Meetings
Meetings are open to all members of the FIS and invited guests (prior confirmation of attendance is essential).
Date of Next Meeting
The next meeting is being held on 22 September 2021. Click here for more information.
Key Resources developed through the FIS Ceiling and Absorbers Working Group
For a basic introduction to suspended ceilings and common terminology click here
Ceilings Knowledge Hub – For additional information developed through this group in support of contractors and designers you can visit the Ceilings Knowledge Hub