Health and Safety
It is a core objective of FIS to help reduce risk and create a healthier and safer construction environment for all. Below you can find details of our H&S Toolkit to support members.
In terms of operational safety, construction has made significant strides in the past decade. But we cannot afford to be complacent, accidents still happen and there remain around 82,000 work-related ill health cases (new or longstanding) every year, with 62% attributable to musculoskeletal issues and 25% related to stress, depression or anxiety. It is a terrifying statistic that suicide rates in construction are double the national average.
It is mandatory for FIS members to maintain an active focus on all elements of H&S and this forms a vital part of our code of conduct audits.
In addition to resources available here, Members have access to our H&S Helpline that they can access via 0121 707 0077.
SCROLL DOWN FOR OUR COVID -19 H&S RESOURCES
Health and Safety Handbook
The Health and Safety Handbook is designed for distribution by members to site operatives as a tool to help remind them of the hazards that they may encounter every day in their job and assist them in meeting company health and safety requirements.
Members can purchase bulk copies overprinted with their company logo. For more information email: email@example.com
Health and Safety Toolkit
- Accidents – how to deal with them
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse in the Workplace
- Clients Health and Safety Responsibility to Contractors
- Control of Asbestos
- Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002
- Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005
- Electrical Equipment (inspection and testing)
- Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome
- Hand hygiene
- Manual Handling Guide: Safe handling of plasterboard
- Manual handling assessment charts (the MAC Tool)
- Health and Safety Consultation Toolbox
- Health and Safety Policy
- Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
- Recommendations for the safe ingress of plasterboard
Expert health & safety consultant service for FIS members
These free guides have been provided by Associate Member, Citation, who offer preferential rates on their services to FIS members. Their Health & Safety service includes a dedicated local consultant, 24/7 advice line, and 100s of model documents and templates.
Get in touch to find out more or book a free consultation
Remember to let them know you’re enquiring through FIS.
Mental Health Hub
Mental health is such a prevalent issue within the construction sector.
Did you know that:
- Every single working day in the UK two construction workers take their own life
- Stress, anxiety and depression account for a fifth of all work-related illness
- Every year there are over 82,000 new cases of work related illness that can be directly attributed to working within construction
- Every year over 2.4 million days are lost through injury or illness in our industry
You will find all of our mental health resources in our mental health hub, please click here
Health and Safety Alerts
Fit-out contractor fined £1.1m after worker injured in fall from height
Industrial staircase installer fined after worker trapped – A company specialising in the manufacture and installation of industrial staircases has been fined following an incident where a worker became trapped at a site on Fenchurch Avenue in London.
Unprotected stairwell – company fined £20,000 after worker suffers multiple injuries in fall
Retaining Wall Collapse – Building firm fined £900,000 (plus over £60k costs) after fatal wall collapse