With higher transmission linked to the new variant of the COVID-19 virus it is vital that the construction industry maintains close oversite of key risks. When it comes to sharing vehicles advice in the Construction Leadership Council Site Operating Procedures are clear – wherever possible workers should try not to share a vehicle with those outside their household or support bubble.
If workers have no option but to share transport, they should try to:
• Share with the same individuals and with the minimum number of people (up to a maximum of 6) at any one time
• Keep the windows open
• Travel side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow
• Maximise the distance between people
• Wear a face covering
• The vehicle should be cleaned between journeys, especially touch points, using gloves and standard cleaning products.
Additional guidance in Scotland extends this to recommend:
- keep your distance and take care entering and exiting the vehicle
- sit as far apart as possible in the vehicle, avoiding face-to-face
- clean your hands before and after your journey
An issue flagged has been individuals using a vehicle to shelter in breaks or to eat lunch. This should be avoided.
For a full suite of H&S advice to help reduce COVID-19 Transmission, visit the FIS H&S Hub here.