Scotland has issued a Building Standards consultation – Changing Places Toilets. This deals with the introduction of these changing facilities in defined types of larger new buildings, conversions or extensions. By ‘defined’, the types of construction being considered are:
- Shopping centres/malls with a gross floor area of 30,000m2 or more
- Single retail premises with a gross floor area of 10,000m2 or more
- Places of entertainment or assembly with a capacity of 2,000 persons or more
- Secondary schools providing community facilities
- Leisure centres or similar buildings containing swimming pools
Current Scottish Building Standards do not require the provision of Changing Places Toilets although section 3.12 does include a basic specification for designers to follow if a client elects to provide such facilities. The consultation is aimed at going further than the provisions given in BS 8300-1 and -2:2018 Design of an accessible and inclusive built environment – Buildings, and – External environment.
A copy of the consultation documents can be viewed here.
FIS will be responding to this questionnaire so members are invited to send their comments to email@example.com by 30 April 2019 for inclusion in our response.