The next phase of the BIM Task Group programme was announced at the ICE BIM 2016 conference on 19 October by Mark Bew, MBE. Innovate UK and the Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy have formed a partnership to deliver the next phase of digitisation in the construction sector through Digital Built Britain.
Digital Built Britain, first announced in the 2016 budget, will deliver reductions in whole-life costs and carbon emissions, whilst improving productivity and capacity by using intelligent building information models. Digital Built Britain will also continue the work of the globally recognised BIM Task Group programme, set up in 2011 to deliver up to 20% savings on costs of major projects.
The Digital Built Britain programme will focus on:
- Providing departmental support and British Standards for BIM Level 2
- Increased international trade and opportunities for growth for UK companies
- Development of BIM Level 3 programme as announced in February 2015
- Cyber security
- Private sector investment and engagement
- A series of early adopter projects focusing on Level 3A and manufacturing technologies