FIS Regional MeetingA collaborative response to labour shortages in the finishes and interiors sector
Date: 22 March 2022
Location: Doubletree by Hilton, 92 Southampton Row, London WC1B 4BH
Time: 07:30 – 09:45
With labour shortages and recruitment a key challenge within the sector, this event will focus on a collective response to labour shortages and attracting the next generation of workers.
We will look at the scale of the problem and a round-up of local opportunities providing ideas to support recruitment that cover all key pathways into construction (trade and construction management). There will be advice on how to approach schools, colleges and local networks and where to advertise roles (trade and construction management/surveying).
- Recruitment: What’s available, what support is there for employers
- Retaining trainees: Managing young people, training to retain, the purpose of induction and options for delivering training
- Meeting Section 106 responsibilities: Additionality of training. Programmes that you can tap into including BounceBack and flexi-job apprentices
- Competence: Qualifications, changing regulatory landscape, ongoing training professional passports, training facilities in your region
- Funding: Funding available to support you
Time will be allowed for open discussion and networking.
The FIS team will be supported by representatives of CITB and local speakers aiming to give members fresh ideas, a clear plan of action and understanding of the support available to attack their skills gap. This will include ideas and resources to support approaches to local schools, how to work more effectively with the Department for Work and Pensions, case studies and a list of initiatives and funding that can support your recruitment efforts and induction and development of workers. Details of the support available from CITB for recruiting and qualifying people will also be given.
Similar intervention events are being run across the UK in March, April and May in Leicester, Bristol, Dartford, Manchester and Glasgow – click here to find your local event