Heritage and Fibrous Plastering Working Group
The FIS Heritage and Fibrous Plastering working group was formed to represent and support companies carrying out new and remedial work to heritage and fibrous plaster ceilings and plaster works
What is the FIS Heritage and Fibrous Plastering Working Group?
Formed in December 2014, this working group a focal point for FIS members who are involved in supplying materials for, or carrying out new and remedial work, to heritage and fibrous plaster ceilings and plaster works in new, heritage and historic buildings.
Our main objectives are:
- Develop technical standards as required (own the Technical Space)
- Promote best practice in the market
- Educate and inform clients and specifiers about Heritage work
- Promote the products and skills of FIS members in this field
- Shape the market so that the correct adherence to standards is recognised and adhered to by all to the benefit of clients
- Extend our independent advisory service to include expertise in Heritage works
- Support the main core activities of FIS
- Attract other companies into membership
What are the key issues that the group is looking to address?
A pivotal role of the group has been to look at issues such as Theatre Ceiling Collapse and ensure that lessons are learned and best practice exchanged. The forum works with other Heritage-related organisations such as Historic England, The Theatres Trust and The Association of British Theatre Technicians to ensure the highest standards of safety and workmanship are maintained in plaster ceilings and plasterwork in historic buildings.
Current live projects include:
- Creating a new specifiers guide.
- Develop a standard for structural calculation when designing fibrous plaster ceilings.
- Developing a fire test and possible certification options to support column protection using Fibrous plaster
- Create a quality check list for site installation.
- Develop a competency framework
Working Group Meetings?
Generally meetings are held as and when issues or matters arise that require the input, guidance and adherence of FIS members. Meetings are open to members and invited guests. From time time ad hoc task groups are established to support key projects.
Date of Next Meeting
Date: 19 May 2020
Time: 10:00 – 12:00
To find out more and to reserve your place click here