As a vertically integrated organisation, FIS helps to brings together the fit out and finishes supply chain. As such, it provides the perfect platform for suppliers to interact with and support their customer base.
Why should you consider joining the FIS?
FIS is the trade association for the Finishes and Interiors Sector, a growing community of fit-out contractors and contractors, installers and suppliers of ceilings, steel framing systems, partitions, operable walls, plastering and drylining. We are run as a not-for-profit company and our Board of Directors are all (non paid) members of the organisation. Through their leadership and working closely members through daily contact, our specialist working groups and regional contractor forums our team provide targeted support to help set and raise standards and support the day-to-day challenges of businesses in this sector.
Mark of quality
FIS Membership allows you to demonstrate your quality credentials, the values you uphold and commitment to the sector. FIS members are:
- Engaged in the development of the sector.
- Informed of key issues related to regulatory compliance, innovation, safety and quality.
FIS promotes its members through an extensive outreach programme:
- Members are promoted to the construction sector via our online Member Directory Search (over 14,000 searches in 2018).
- SpecFinish magazine reaches an audience of 30,000 specifiers, installers and suppliers. Members get preferential opportunities for editorial coverage (online and in the printed magazine)
- Our partnership with Barbour ABI and the Interiors Fit-out Hub
- Promotes best practice in the UK through the prestigious Finishes and Interiors Sector Awards.
- We deliver CPD and have regular dialogue with clients, specifiers, main contractors and other key stakeholders (who often participate in our working groups).
- Throughout the year suppliers have the opportunity to attend, participate and, where appropriate, sponsor FIS events and activities
A dynamic community
FIS draws the community together to encourage collaboration and best practice exchange:
- Regional Contractor Forums our Annual Conference, Regular Webinars, and SpecFinish magazine.
- Regular specialist working groups in drylining, heritage plastering, operable walls, ceilings, partitions, digital construction, health and safety, steel framing systems and women in fit-out.
- Members can access our monthly special interest webinars and online meetings too
Fighting your corner
We ensure our members’ voice is heard in the development of policy, technical standards and building regulations.
- Fair payment in construction – we are working to help end cash retentions, unreasonable contractual clauses and unfair payment practices.
- Driving quality and standards – we help our members to improve safety, quality and embrace innovation in their businesses.
- Unravelling red tape – we help members to future proof their businesses, and prepare for industry and regulatory changes and uncertainty
Managing your risk
FIS will help you to identify your risks and how to overcome them:
- Evidence of compliance and competence by using our simple Product, Process, People (PPP) model.
- Access our Health and Safety Toolkit.
- Access our Contractual Tool kit (including a no win, no fee retention claims service).
FIS offers you access to independent and expert advice and knowledge:
- FIS can help you overcome obstacles, managing difficult clients and plan change.
- We publish expert client guides in office fit-out and refurbishment and acoustics, best practice guides in drylining, partitions, suspended ceilings, technical notes and a BIM toolbox for contractors.
- We have an extensive online knowledge hub, supported by a dedicated advisory service and helpline, including a technical team to answer your queries.
Saving you money
FIS as well as developing support tools and information, FIS works with partners to highlight opportunities and negotiate premium service or discounts:
- FIS Members and their teams can access a basket of discounted services through the FIS.
- We have negotiated tailored insurance packages for members
- We have expertise available to help you to identify and secure training and local business grants and R&D Tax Credits.
FIS is providing the training and skills the sector needs:
- Our dedicated skills team works with a network of Approved Training Providers and FE colleges to attract new people to the sector and deliver a qualified and competent workforce.
- We don’t just develop and help source training, we also help find a way to fund it.
- Wherever possible we will help you accredit training and secure funding to support training that you undertake in your business
FIS membership is not automatic and applicants are subject to strict vetting procedures.
The main criteria for contractor membership is that companies should:
- Have an established track record in the interiors sector
- Have traded for at least two years
- Be financially stable
- Workmanship meets commercially acceptable standards
- Be able to comply with the FIS Code of Code (where applicable)
(Should a company not meet the above criteria, they may be eligible to register for Associate Membership – KickStart)
Code of Conduct
On being accepted into the Association, all members agree to subscribe to and abide by the terms of the FIS Code of Conduct (where applicable to your company), which establishes a minimum standard of conduct for members in order to raise and maintain industry standards.
The FIS code of conduct requires members to:
- Conduct business in a manner that will reflect credit on the Association, the industry and themselves.
- Adopt and commit to the principles and practices laid down by FIS.
- Act with integrity towards others and exercise high standards of business practice and workmanship.
- Be committed to training its workforce.
- Ensure that they are conversant with and adhere to the relevant current British, European and International Standards and other relevant technical standards, regulations and practices.
- Ensure (in so far as they are able) that their products or systems are tested and/or comply with the recognised standards specified by the client or statutory authorities.
- Not knowingly mislead others by fact or implication as to the performance of their products or systems.
- Hold required levels of statutory and appropriate insurance.
- Operate an effective health and safety policy and have a current health and safety policy statement.
- Keep records of all RIDDOR reportable accidents and provide annual accident statistics to FIS.
- Have and implement an appropriate environmental policy statement.
- Display wherever practical the FIS Accredited Member Logo or FIS Associate Member Logo (as applicable) on its premises, website, business stationery and brochures and make this Code of Practice available for inspection.
|Turnover under £1m||£104 per month|
|Turnover £1m – £10m||£184 per month|
|£10m – £20m||£267 per month|
||£333 per month|
Members joining the FIS are charged a one-off joining fee: £250 + VAT (used to part cover the cost of the vetting process)
Subscriptions are annual (1 January to 31 December) and subject to VAT. They can be paid annually or by monthly direct debit.
Forza Doors is a manufacturing business supplying doors to the fit-out sector. We initially joined FIS as a KickStart member and now are a full member. The FIS team introduced us to the IMS scheme that they were developing for members and we have now gained full accreditation. We support FIS in their endeavours to develop the specialist interiors industry by being part of their specific working groups and sponsoring FIS events. We thoroughly recommend FIS membership to any manufacturer that is looking to take an active part in the interiors sector.
We feel being part of the FIS gives us the back-up we need, and gives our clients the confidence in the products we offer.
Some contractors are keen to have their supply chain fully accredited to the FIS. This can only be a benefit to all
Or contact us on 0121 707 0077 and a member of our team will be happy to provide additional information and answer any questions that you may have