The Building Safety Act is the foundation of a new building safety regime for the construction sector and represents the most significant change to industry regulation in a generation. With many of the new requirements coming into force this year, FIS members have access to a newly published comprehensive overview of the regime, compiled by Build UK. This guidance will ensure all members are aware of their responsibilities and includes information on:
- New bodies that will provide effective oversight of the new regime
- New responsibilities for all those who design, build, own or manage Higher Risk Buildings
- New systems designed to improve levels of competence and formalise processes
- Existing legislation which will be reformed
- Other activities outside the scope of the Act but related to building safety.
The guide will be regularly updated as secondary legislation and supporting guidance from industry is published. It has been welcomed by Dame Judith Hackitt, Chair of the Industry Safety Steering Group, who said:
“This guide provides Build UK members across the supply chain with a clear and accessible summary of what the Building Safety Act means for them and their organisation. I urge you to not just read this guide but to then discuss what it means for your organisation and how your practices need to change.”